Re: [OM] Peter Lik again

Subject: Re: [OM] Peter Lik again
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 22:03:11 -0500
I think we're talking around each other.  I have never once mentioned
the "scene range"... only that the film dynamic range is 5 and that the
final print will be even less than that.  I was somewhat surprised to
see the apparent differences in scanner output on your link but scanning
is an art in itself and the results will depend as much upon the
software and the operator as the scanner itself.  While there are
certainly differences in scanner quality (those listed range from low
cost flatbed scanners to high end drum scanners) even the highest
quality drum scanners only have a Dmax of about 4.  So even the best
isn't capable of capturing even Velvia's limited dynamic range in a
single exposure pass.

No doubt Peter Lik has the best scanners and processes available but I
still strongly suggest the effect is as much from the presentation as
the quality of the print.

Chuck Norcutt