Re: [OM] E-3 ESP metering mode confusion

Subject: Re: [OM] E-3 ESP metering mode confusion
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 19:23:51 -0500
I could easily be wrong but I think I can give it a pretty good guess.
Olympus first used the term "ESP" metering (AFAIK) with the OM-PC/40.
It was a pretty simple system which simply recognized a center and outer
metering zone which was able to recognize backlighting and adjust.

Metering has gotten a whole lot more sophisticated since then.  The most
sophisticated is matrix metering which uses a matrix array of sensors.
I know that some Nikons have matrix arrays of 256 sensor cells and
others may have more or less.  I'm sure they all have their own secret
algorithms or lookup tables but the camera analyzes the exposure pattern
across all of the sensor cells to determine the actual exposure.

Olympus uses matrix metering now too (but I don't think it's as much as
256 cells) and continues to call it ESP.  My take on what this means is
simply that the cells in the vicinity of the active focus point get
extra weight in the exposure decision.  In other words, bias the
exposure toward the subject which is presumably what's in focus.

Chuck Norcutt