Re: [OM] Peter Lik again

Subject: Re: [OM] Peter Lik again
From: ws <omls@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 19:27:48 -0500
The square root of the inverse Hilbert transform convoluted with the
hypotenuse of the frequency, integrated over +-infinity time and you can
show Why this is correct. :-)

Actually the Fourier transform of a square wave shows odd harmonics that
decrease in frequency, so a reasonable approximation requires summing
a certain number of these harmonics, to recreate a square wave, But probably
more import is the phase shift introduce with lower bandwidth systems.

http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/rbf/CVonline/LOCAL_COPIES/OWENS/LECT4/node2.html

I do not know of any experimental listening tests of this, and I don't think I
can
hear past 12Khz these days. At one time, I could hear 16KHz sine wave
but my wife doesn't think I can hear at all. Maybe she just needs more
bandwidth? Unfortunately bandwidth usually means a lot of work.

I just wish someone would inform the mobile phone developers that
too much compression turns voices into noise.

Wayne - say what?