Re: [OM] Shameless Plug Alert - B&W with Studio 2

Subject: Re: [OM] Shameless Plug Alert - B&W with Studio 2
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 08:54:24 -0600

> The tonalities in this version are *much* better, more highlight detail (I
> thought they may have been lost in the original exposure) and the shadow
> areas look more natural.
>
> What was done differently in coming up with this version ?

I'm looking at the picture this morning and I'm sorry to say that I think it
stinks. I never knew that "dry down compensation" was required with
digital.  :(  Oh, well, at least the highlights aren't blown.

Seriously, what is at issue now is the need for some dodging and burning or
possibly some LCE.  In a darkroom I'd probably split-grade this image and
force more contrast into the foreground leaves.  I was so careful not to
blow out the background like the first version was that the entire image is
a touch muddy.  My style is to make sure that something in the print
"sparkles" and "snaps".  I have the snap, but no sparkle.  The foreground
leaves in the first version were exactly how I wanted them to look, but the
rest was a touch too high-key.  Just a touch, though.  In the darkroom, I
could have cured the entire print with about 1/4 stop increase in exposure.

But back to the original point--Digital B&W is tough to do.  I have yet to
see any digital B&W print that had me convinced I was looking at a chemical
print. There is a "look" which screams digital.  I was working hard to try
and not get the "digital look" in the on-screen version.  In reality, the
first version was probably truer to a PanF picture than any of us are
willing to admit.

AG