Re: [OM] Shooting candids [was OM-5D II mini review]

Subject: Re: [OM] Shooting candids [was OM-5D II mini review]
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 09:19:37 -0600

> My question is whether these were techniques of choice or necessity. No
> matter what anybody says, I don't see how popping a Leica up in front of
> my face is any less obvious to the subject(s) than popping an SLR or a
> digi P&S in front of my face.

In "The Genius of Photography", Joel Meyerowitz explained and illustrated
why the Leica is a preferred camera for street photography.  The method of
shooting, holding the camera, prefocusing, etc., is completely different
than using other cameras.

One way he illustrated it was that he was holding the camera behind his back
and preadjusted the camera.  In one smooth swift move he brought the camera
to his eye, clicked the shutter and the camera was gone.  The entire motion
looked as though he just scratched his nose.  So quick was the motion that
he had taken the picture before anybody could actually see that there was
camera there and react negatively. In fact, the camera was gone so fast that
it wasn't even apparant that the picture was taken.  This kind of action
requires instant shutter response.  Even a 250ms delay for autofocus would
blow the shot.

He also explained why the RF viewfinder of the Leica is preferred.  It's a
two-eyed camera--he keeps his left eye open and scanning the scene even
though the camera is up to his right eye.

As to Color vs. B&W for street photography, I'm firmly in the B&W camp.

AG