Re: [OM] Latest Combination

Subject: Re: [OM] Latest Combination
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 10:17:59 -0600

> BTW, I really envy about the place you live, it is so nice!

Joel's house is rather interesting.  I always enjoy visiting.  This past
summer, it was a bit, uh, flooded though.  It was a sad sad sight indeed as
only 1/2 the house was visible above the water. (in case he didn't take
pictures, I did). But due to some good planning after the previous flood,
his house got far less damage than the neighbors' houses and was inhabitable
much sooner. (I love the work he did on the stairway from the garage!). As
the river is now receded back to its banks, things are pretty again.  I'm
sure he'll need to reseed his lawn this spring.

Tom Scales lives about seven miles north of Joel and his property is on the
artificial lake which also flooded (which caused Joel's house to flood).
Tom's house is sufficiently above the water to not be damaged, but he did
lose a good fifty feet of yard when the water rose.

As to the surrounding areas, it's generally the same type of terrain and
photographic opportunities around Iowa city as there are around Grinnell.
The key is to get outdoors and shoot and drive the backroads.

For those of you planning on traversing Iowa on Interstate-80, give a hollar
and we'll point out some good places within a couple minutes of the highway
to get out and stretch your legs.  If the timing is right, we have decent
restaurants here too and maybe one or both of us can meet.

AG