Re: [OM] You've got snow?

Subject: Re: [OM] You've got snow?
From: Frank van Lindert <Frank@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 20:15:52 +0100
I feel as green as you do, but after moving house last year I did have
airconditioning installed. I had some environmental scientists do some
research to assess its damage to the globe if I used the unit 30 days
per year (only for cooling, which is a fair estimate).

The answer surprised me: I could run the airconditioner for 18 years
until the pollution would equal that of one holiday in SE Asia or S
America (from Holland, that is). Calculations were based on the trip
being made by air for one person only!

This made me buy the aircon. I am very happy with it, even when
temperatures here never get higher than 35 or 36 Celsius - and even
those levels are rare here as yet.

I am now convinced that traveling is a _much_ bigger threat than all
of my household appliances together.

Frank van Lindert
Utrecht NL.