Re: [OM] Latest Combination

Subject: Re: [OM] Latest Combination
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 08:52:59 -0600

> Maybe US deer are more 'civilised'?

If you call "hood ornaments" civilized.

Here in Iowa, agriculture is pure business, simple as that.  The farmers
that give a rip about sustainability, etc., are almost nonexistant.  We've
discovered that you can solve any problem by shoving more chemicals into the
ground or spraying them into the air.

Over, just south-west of Joel is an extensive Amish and Mennonite community.
Those farmers tend to do things their own way and probably have more worms
per acre than an entire county of farms.  Whereas the farmers in my specific
area (different cultural group--mostly Dutch) have gone nuts supporting the
latest/greatest in "technology".  Some of these guys have gone to planting
corn on half-width rows and 50-60,0000 seeds per acre. There is only one way
you can get 60,000 seeds to produce anything in an acre--tons of chemicals.

Last year, during the floods and storms, I was driving my family to an event
a hundred miles away when the portable storm radio and the scanner in the
jeep was going nuts with new tornado warnings errupting all around us.  We
were taking country roads and for almost two hours we traversed backroads
and came across villiages I never heard of before, but were right in the
paths of tornados. Unfortunately, the rains (and hail) were so intense that
we couldn't see anything, but we new there were two tornados within a mile
or two of where we were.  The rains were so intense (thank goodness for
RainX) that we were experiencing flashfloods all around us.  We stopped at
one point where there was at least a foot of water flowing at high rate from
the field on our left to the field on our right.  If it wasn't for the
DeLorme Atlas and my GPS, I would have been totally bewildered.

What surprised me through this experience was the extremely offensive odor
of these fields on the move.  There was a lot of fertilizer in those fields.

AG