[OM] OT: Forest carp

Subject: [OM] OT: Forest carp
From: Dean Hansen <hanse112@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 08:55:01 -0600
Hi Listees,
    I've hunted deer on my land in NW Wisconsin for probably 15 years
now.  There are so many deer in this part of the state that the DNR
issues "antlerless" bonus permits, in unlimited numbers, for a mere $2
each.  Last two deer seasons I've bought 10, more to make a statement
than to think that I will fill all of them.  Last November I harvested 4
deer and unsuccessfully followed the blood trail of two more I wounded;
hopefully these two eventually died.  I don't mind sounding
heartless--40-50 deer per square mile of forest have an absolutely
devastating effect on pine and oak regeneration.  I've watched this for
decades.  Ten deer per square mile, and I'll agree that deer are
beautiful animals.  But at 50, I regard deer as "forest carp" and treat
them as such.  I know that there are at least 4, and hopefully 6, deer
that won't be jumping a 4' fence, running into the side of a car, or
killing someone out motorcycling.  Our group got 14 deer in total, and
there are several struggling Hmong families in St. Paul that appreciated
the donation of a deer to butcher and feast on.  Sure beats a
road-killed carcass rotting in the ditch while the local body shop
repairs a few thousand dollars damage to a car, hopefully with no one in
the hospital.
Dean (who's definitely NOT a PETA member)