Re: [OM] 1TB drives now under $100

Subject: Re: [OM] 1TB drives now under $100
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2009 13:54:16 +1300
The article referenced in my previous e-mail (Mosaddiques Web Pages)
begins with this section

> Working With Large Hard Drives - The issues and the Limits
>
> WinXP & Win2k - FAT32 format limitations
>
> A few points one must understand about creating and using FAT32 partitions
> in Windows XP or Windows 2000. There are limitations which are there by
> design.
>
> WinXP & Win2k cannot create FAT32 partitions larger than 32 GB.
>
> WinXP & Win2k cannot format FAT32 partitions larger than 32 GB.
>
> WinXP & Win2k will happily use larger ones created using Win95R2, Win98 or
> WinME.
>
> If you want to use large FAT32 partitions in WinXP / Win2k then create
> them and format them using Win95R2, Win98 or WinME boot floppies or
> bootable CDs. You can also use third party partitioning tools like
> partition magic, or any other, that support creating and formatting of
> FAT32 partitions. However, see later for limitations imposed by the old
> ATA protocol.
>
> You can obviously create large NTFS partitions instead.

He does however go into more detail later on.

Two questions for those of you who have installed large hard drives;

(a)How did you format them?

(b)How do you get your O/S to recognise and work with them?

Brian Swale.