Re: [OM] 1TB drives now under $100

Subject: Re: [OM] 1TB drives now under $100
From: swisspace <swisspace@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2009 06:18:47 +0100
A pal at work and I had problems with noise in our macpros when we added
disks, they got very noisy, we traced it down to having non matching
disks, i,e western digital and seagate, luckily we could solve this by
just swapping so he got the western digitals and me the seagates. We
think it was caused by them having slightly different spin speeds which
caused them to resonate it really was an irritating sound.

later  I ordered 5 identical seagate disks (one for a spare). then
replaced 2 with 750G for my pictures, I have stayed with seagate with no
problem, If I bought now I would get the 1.5TB seagates as they are
tested to be fast (www.barefeats.com).

I would't worry too much about the grades, one is designed to be
permanently on in a server  the other for intermittent desktop use,
however you will probably swap them for larger drives well before they
are ending their expected lifetime.

IanW