Re: [OM] 1TB drives now under $100

Subject: Re: [OM] 1TB drives now under $100
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2009 00:35:22 -0500
swisspace said the following on 2/1/09 12:18 AM:
> A pal at work and I had problems with noise in our macpros when we added
> disks, they got very noisy, we traced it down to having non matching
> disks, i,e western digital and seagate, luckily we could solve this by
> just swapping so he got the western digitals and me the seagates. We
> think it was caused by them having slightly different spin speeds which
> caused them to resonate it really was an irritating sound.

There's a known problem with the design of the hard drive caddy in the Mac Pro.
  Under some conditions the handle portion of the caddy can start to resonate.
A little forceful bending of the handle or some padding behind it seems to fix
it.

> later  I ordered 5 identical seagate disks (one for a spare). then
> replaced 2 with 750G for my pictures, I have stayed with seagate with no
> problem, If I bought now I would get the 1.5TB seagates as they are
> tested to be fast (www.barefeats.com).

I've been using the Samsung drives lately, they seem to run about 10C cooler in
the Mac Pro than the Western Digitals.  I have five drives in there right now
and all the Samsung's are at about 25C while the WD's are about 37C.  The
Samsung's (750's and 1TB's) are quieter as well.
                                        -mark