Re: [OM] (OT) A little street shooting in Cambridge (MA)

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) A little street shooting in Cambridge (MA)
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2009 12:15:40 -0500
On Jan 31, 2009, at 6:42 PM, Andrew Fildes wrote:

> First one - last two. All leave me with questions. Was the huge black
> woman begging? In those conditions? Is that and oxygen tube? And the
> appeal raises the inevitable questions about self-inflicted wounds.

She was begging. Said she wanted money for fuel, family of seven,
"Emergency!" Her exact word. I gave her two bucks and asked if I
could take her picture. She held up the two bucks I gave her. It is
an oxygen tube, connected to a tank. I have no idea whether the tank
actually had oxygen in it. I did not hear the customary sounds of
oxygen being breathed from a tube, and I heard a lot of that while my
COPD mother lived with us for a year and a half. But we were outside,
and there was a lot of street noise. After I took the woman's
picture, I reminded myself that I did not want to spend the day
shooting pictures of the indigent, homeless, hapless or fraudulent.

> What does the woman with the dog have emblazoned on he arse? That
> whole image is a very interesting composition.

As best I could tell, the, ah, emblazon was "Juicy Land." I did not
get a front look. The dog's coat has a hood, too. I have more
pictures of her and the dog, but the woman walking close in front of
the camera added an element I sort of liked. "Interesting
composition" about says it. <g>

> The graffito is odd but I am bothered by that monument - did you give
> it the name or is it really called that - and it can't possibly be
> what it resembles, surely!

Alas, I must confess the smart-ass in my rose to the surface. I gave
it the name. I have no idea what's under that cover, though when I
came around the corner of a building and saw it I nearly was crippled
by laughter. It took a good five minutes to get over myself. The
notion of Harvard, ah, erecting a monument to, ah, manhood is just
too preposterous to contemplate, though contemplate it I did. I
promise to revisit the, ah, erection, in spring or summer and see
what's really there. I did see a few other pieces under the same sort
of green tarp, but they did not resemble anything recognizable.

> While sneaky street shooting is an art, taking out a large lump of a
> camera is more honest in many ways. It gives people a chance to say
> no - or to engage with the camera - and it yells 'professional'
> unlike a Leica. You've got some nice shots there - do it again, and
> again.

Thank you! I will.

--Bob Whitmire
"Art's just fart without the eff."