Re: [OM] OT: Forest carp (spiedie)

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Forest carp (spiedie)
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2009 12:35:55 -0500
Binghamton University is my Alma Mater as well.  I graduated in 1968
after the GI bill was passed which allowed me to go back to school and
finish my last 2 years.  But this area is my wife's home territory, not
mine.  But it's also the cradle of IBM which has its origins here going
back to the late 1800's.  My wife's father was an IBM manager who
started with the company back about 1935 and encouraged me to join up as
well after I was discharged from the Air Force.

I started working for IBM in 1965, took an educational leave, came back
after graduation in 1968 and then, since IBM in those days meant "I've
Been Moved", took transfers to Manassas, Virginia in 1971, Kingston, New
York in 1975, Boca Raton, Florida in 1985 and retired there after 30
years in 1995.  Then I took another job in 1995 at Programart (a
mainframe system software performance analysis company in Cambridge,
Massachusetts), lost that job in 2002 after the company was acquired by
Compuware (who fired half the work force and especially the experienced
people which destroyed the product).  So from 2002 to 2004 I took a job
as engineering design manager for Henschel in Newburyport, Massachusetts
and lost that when the big technology downturn hit in 2004.  Then (by
happenstance) I apprenticed myself to a well known photographer in
Concord, Massachusetts who also happened to be a former instructor at
the New England School of Photography.  He's a great teacher and I
worked with him doing weddings, event photography, architecture,
jewelry and art works for 3 years before really "retiring" and moving
here.  Sold the Boston house and moved back here where it's much cheaper
to live.

I was born in Battle Creek, Michigan, moved to Baldwin Park, California
in high school, went to school in La Puente, California, joined the Air
Force and spent time in San Antonio, Texas, Syracuse, New York (where
the Air Force sent me to Syracuse Univ. where my wife was also a
student), San Angelo, Texas, and Zweibrucken, Germany before returning
to San Antonio and then to the Binghamton area.  While working for IBM
and the other companies named I actually lived in Endicott, Endwell,
Apalachin and Woodstock, New York (yes, that Woodstock), Centreville,
Virginia, Boca Raton, Florida and Woburn, Massachusetts.

There.  Did we cross paths anywhere else?  :-)

Chuck Norcutt