Re: [OM] Tetons and the Snake River, calling Moose and PhotoShoppers

Subject: Re: [OM] Tetons and the Snake River, calling Moose and PhotoShoppers
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2009 15:44:55 -0500
I wondered why I hadn't gotten any response to the following until I
realized it was sent only to Nathan rather than the list.  So I'll
repeat part of what I said here with respect to my Tetons image.
<http://www.chucknorcutt.com/Tetons/index.htm>
The display of this image has caused me some consternation.
The web image was created by BreezeBrowser but does not looks as crisp
or saturated as the original TIFF image displayed by BreezeBrowser's
"slide show" function even though I would think it was the same code
generating both images from the overly large original.  Secondly, the
smaller image of the river bend and boat cropped out of the full size
image had dramatically reduced saturation and contrast compared to the
display of the image it was derived from.  As you see it on my site it
has been somewhat pumped up so as not to look dramatically different...
but it did.

This is close to the largest image i have ever worked with (over 6000
pixels high and wide) and I wonder if the problem is that resizing
something that large down to a visible screen size during editing leads
to an unnatural display of contrast and saturation.

When sharpening an image for print it's necessary to display the image
at about 25-35% to get a good impression of how the on screen sharpening
will actually look on paper.  I wonder if the same sort of thing is
required when editing pixel brightness.  If the image is huge and too
many pixels are averaged during the resizing to fit the screen do we
lose the sense of the real color and brightness levels?  I've never read
anything about that.  I may have to do some experimentation.

Chuck Norcutt