Re: [OM] food<>photography, was A little street shooting in Cambridge (

Subject: Re: [OM] food<>photography, was A little street shooting in Cambridge (MA)
From: "siddiq@xxxxxxx" <siddiq@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2009 22:43:33 -0800
On Feb 1, 2009, at 1:49 PM, Joel Wilcox wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 2:28 PM, siddiq@xxxxxxx <siddiq@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>> OK, third time's the charm. many apologies, feel terribly stupid.
>> copied the wrong URL.. haven't had breakfast yet, that's my alibi.
>>
>> http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2108283&l=d7c03&id=6313229
>>
>> http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2120428&l=89357&id=6313229
>
> Those galleries are quite interesting taken as a whole.  I sense that
> they are also enjoyable to the persons featured in them.  They are
> natural to a gathering of friends and almost documentary-like.  I wish
> some of the faces were not lost in shadows at times, but it's not
> inconsistent to the lighting and how it might have looked being there.
> Correct for the venue, I'd say. :)

Yeah, lighting tends to be on the dim side at these events, be it at a
restaurant, or someone's house where we all gather to see how much
mayhem we can cause in the kitchen by experimenting on 'nomables.'
Plus as most of these are food and company driven, the latter tend to
dispatch the former in short order, leaving little or no chance for
documenting. I think most of the friends have gotten used to me being
hidden behind the camera, but sometimes I get the feeling they find it
offputting, some more than others, so I go easy on the shutter tripping.

> The sashimi is beautiful.  My Japanese mother-in-law won't eat it, so
> I don't eat it.  I figure she knows something ...

Don't eat it much, but a friend visiting from Italy loved this hole in
the wall mom and pop shop in little osaka part of LA, and given that
it took no reservations and people were happily waiting for upwards of
half and hour for a seat, figured it's worth a shot! I am disappointed
in how plasticky looking the close ups came out, but I chalk that up
to my lack of experience in shooting food, high ISO and high NR (just
to save post processing time--and I wouldn't know where to start--so
Massi could have photos to show as soon as he returned home).

> My New Year's Day soup was so beautiful in the bowl that I took a
> photo of it.  I have half a mind now to show everybody ...

Do share, there are many lovers of photography and food here!