Re: [OM] (OM) Candid photography; examples from Brian Brake (deceased)

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) Candid photography; examples from Brian Brake (deceased)
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2009 05:37:23 +1300
Chris Barker asked ...
> I had never heard of Mr Brake until your scans prompted me to look him
> up.  How did you get hold of the photos?
>
> Chris
>
> On 2 Feb 2009, at 00:27, Brian Swale wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > I have just uploaded 10 of Brian Brake's photos re-photographed with
> > E-1 and Z 50/3.5 from the books I mentioned a few days ago. Here they
> > are.

Chris, I have two of the books (they are great photo essays of New
Zealand), and I used the E-1  and Zuiko macro to re-record the images.
Cropped and resized with Irfanview in short order.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=16185&l=01a83&id=1027725807

I'd really like to hear what people think of the results of Brake's candid
photography technique. In my opinion, he was terrific.

The books are two editions of "New Zealand - Gift of the Sea" and Brian
Brake is one of the authors. The text was written (depends on the edition) by
Maurice Shadbolt or another. Brake was a pupil of Cartier-Bresson.

I have many books, and hunt them down using www.bookfinder.com/
A great resource, started by two women - bought out by (I think) Alibris.
Alibris had the good sense to not absorb bookfinder into itself - compared
with what Amazon did when they took over www.bibliofind.com - which does
not exist now in its own right.

Brian Swale.