Re: [OM] Western Digital My Passport Essential USB 2.0-Powered External

Subject: Re: [OM] Western Digital My Passport Essential USB 2.0-Powered External Drives
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2009 18:23:20 -0500
Keep in mind that your view of eSATA performance is based on a direct
motherboard connection at native SATA 2 speed (3 Gbits/second).
However, many here who might use an eSATA adapter card might not see the
performance advantage you see.  If a PCI eSATA adapter is used it is
limited to the 133 M Bytes/second of the PCI bus which equates to approx
1 Gbits/second.  If using a PCIe version 1 adapter it will be able to
support 2 G bits/second which is faster than the eSATA transfer rate of
1.5 G bits/second but slower than the 3 G bits/second of eSATA 2.  Any
PCI or PCIe eSATA adapter will work but most drives on the market today
are eSATA 2 and run at the faster rate which requires a PCIe version 2
or version 3 adapter if the full speed of the drive is to be realized.
Which of these adapters can be used will depend on the motherboard.

Chuck Norcutt