Re: [OM] food<>photography,

Subject: Re: [OM] food<>photography,
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2009 14:52:21 -0500
Try putting a piece of tissue in front of it.  If you're in a restaurant
a layer of paper napkin might make a handy diffuser.  If you're shooting
close things like the food on the table the loss of power shouldn't be
too significant.  If you've got a buddy or two present have them use
another napkin or two to make an impromptu reflector so you can fill
some shadows.  A simple diffuser and a single reflector will make a big
difference.  Without a buddy even a napkin propped up against some
glasses or bottles should help.

I've never seen such a thing but I'd be surprised if someone somewhere
doesn't make a simple sort of diffuser for clipping on to the camera
somehow for pop-up flashes.  I just invented one.  How about a piece of
white, translucent plastic slightly larger than the open size of the
flash head which has an attaching hood made of cloth tape that drapes
over the top of the flash and folds around to attach to the diffuser at
its sides.  The side pieces could be creased such that they fold inward
when the top piece is folded down.  The whole thing should be not much
larger than a matchbook and probably thinner when folded up.  Easy to
put in your pocket.

Dr. Flash