Re: [OM] Western Digital My Passport Essential USB, 2.0-Powered External

Subject: Re: [OM] Western Digital My Passport Essential USB, 2.0-Powered External Drives
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2009 15:08:25 -0500
OEM's are doing something you're not familiar with.  I tried this route
thinking exactly what you said.  However, my Dell motherboard was built
before the existence of the eSATA spec or in ignorance or defiance of
it.  When I attached my external drives with appropriate backplate
connectors and cables the drives were simply not recognized.  It was as
though they weren't even there.  A call to Dell tech support informed me
that my 6 SATA port motherboard would not support eSATA drives and my
only solution was an eSATA adapter.  Fortunately the mb has two PCIe
slots so I was able to use a card that's fast enough to support SATA II.
  Once the eSATA adapter was in place the drives fired up instantly.

I really don't know why it doesn't work as the only difference I can
find between SATA and eSATA specs is the connectors (different shape and
far greater insertion life) and a slight change in voltage.  Apparently,
small as it is, the voltage difference must be large enough that it
doesn't work.

The BlacX drive dock also has its own power supply.

Chuck Norcutt