Re: [OM] Western Digital My Passport Essential USB2.0-Powered, External

Subject: Re: [OM] Western Digital My Passport Essential USB2.0-Powered, External Drives
From: Mike Lazzari <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2009 22:36:37 -0800

> Someday we'll be on solid state drives.  Then the speed will really
> increase.   :-)
Very very soon! Newegg has a special on a 60gb SSD for about $105. I was
tempted for an OS or scratch disk drive but there are reports that while
the reads are phenomenally fast the writes stall out. So unless you have
a need for really long battery life on a notebook or an app that reads
cached data (TOPO! comes to mind) they aren't ready for prime time yet.
<http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227373>
Note: I see that the manufacturer has put up a link to help sort out the
read/write speed issues. I can't get to it.

Mike