Re: [OM] Mid-Iowa ZuikoFest - Joel's results

Subject: Re: [OM] Mid-Iowa ZuikoFest - Joel's results
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 10:45:23 -0600
On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 9:26 PM, Chuck Norcutt
<chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I thought you were doing a job on us to lower our expectations but
> twarn't necessary.  I'm also a sucker for sunrise and sunset so Dawn's
> Early Light hits me just right.  I also thought you said or implied that
> you didn't get any good eagle shots.  No flies on them babies either.

Thanks Chuck.  I was disappointed at how many shots were poor, so
perhaps it was that speaking.  There is a sequence of a young bird in
the air that I really love for its antics, but every frame is slightly
out of focus.

> I do like the old store front but not with your reflection in it.  It
> changes the entire mood of the shot from something old to something
> right now. I'm not sure how to get rid of it.  Maybe you should have
> stepped to the right a bit.  The close-up worked better.

The self-portrait is not my favorite, but since I included a photo of
Ken, I thought I'd include myself as a joke.  You might like the
alternative which is now on my homepage better:

http://myweb.uiowa.edu/jfwilcox/index.html

> The grain elevator(?) is an interesting architectural study in gray/blue
> but the criss-crossing wires just don't belong.

Ken showed me his shot on the LCD and I knew that I'd been whiffed.
Rather than imitate his right there, I figured I'd sneak back to that
town sometime and copy him.  My shot is one of my classic attempts to
try to work too many things at once.  I figured I show post it anyway
and take my lumps.  I got lucky enough on a couple of the eagles.

Ken also tried to show my his photos on the back on his OM-3Ti, but
apparently only he is able to see those.

> I do like the old house
> and the old barn and also the house and barn on the hill top.  Nathan
> would probably go berserk but if it were my image I'd have cloned out
> the power poles.

You're a lot like my older brother, who can't stand electric lines and
poles in photos.  I like them -- so there!  Just say NO to cloning.

> Nice job.  Much better than I usually get on a day's outing.  And I
> think I've only ever seen two eagles in the wild in my entire life.  But
> I'm highly competitive in gator and water moccasin sightings.  :-)

OK, you're on.  I want to see gators!  Have a great vacation and don't
lose any fingers and toes.

Joel W.