Re: [OM] [OT] interesting story

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] interesting story
From: Doug <doug9345@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 11:04:59 -0500
On Thursday, February 05, 2009 01:43, Chris Barker wrote:
> And he has no protective gear that I can see.  The trousers might be
> the saw-jamming type, but since he wears no boots, helmet or eye
> cover, I doubt it -- or that the gloves are of the proper sort.
>
> Not a bright sort ...
>
> Chris
>
> On 5 Feb 2009, at 00:15, Wayne Harridge wrote:
> >> Andrew Fildes <> wrote:
> >>
> >> "A certified construction teacher, he has learned not to try to save
> >> the chain saw."
> >> However, he hasn't learned not to sit on the branch he's cutting off!
> >> Good grief.
> >
> > Looks like the other beams that he had already cut off might have
> > extended into the other part of the roof.  He probably *assumed*
> > (not a good idea !) that all of the beams were the same.

I'll bet he was showing off for the photographer just to make the situation
worse.  He doesn't realize just how lucky he was not to land on the running
chain saw!  Also notice that the electric wires are still hooked to the
building.

After listening to a ringing in my head(in other words my bs detector going
off) I took another look at the photos in more detail.  I think we aren't
being told the whole story.  If you look from the first photo to the fifth
photo it becomes apparent that he was sitting on the roof and not the beam
and the roof is still there. Now compare the first and second photo. In the
first photo his feet are back under the edge of the roof. In the second photo
the feet are above the edge of the roof. Even if you summersault going off
the roof, your heels are going to catch on the underside of the roof.

Here's what I think happened. The reporter shows up and wants to get photos
with some action in them. They may even be friends.  The construction guy
grabs his chain saw and cuts a side notch out of the rafter. The only reason,
I can think of, that you would do this is to give the photographer some
action to shoot. The photographer does catch the piece of wood from the notch
falling.  If you are going to notch a board to keep your saw from being
pinched  then you'll cut the notch from the top or bottom depending on which
way you think the  board is being bent.

One of two things happen next. The construction guy starts to cut the beam
from the top and gets the saw pinched. He then switches position to his knees
on the roof. From this position he either tried to pull the saw out by
jerking it, the beam breaks and the sudden addition of ten pounds of chainsaw
at arms length over balances him and and  off the roof he goes. The other
possibility is that he was trying  to push down on the beam to break it. When
it did, he was leaning on nothing but air.

There's a third possibility. If a video does show up on America's Funny home
videos I'll believe that the whole thing was staged.

-Doug being his cynical self