[OM] eSATA speed [was Western Digital My Passport Essential USB 2.0-Powe

Subject: [OM] eSATA speed [was Western Digital My Passport Essential USB 2.0-Powered External Drives]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2009 02:25:12 -0800
C.H.Ling wrote:
> I will not put all my trust to one test program as I don't know how it was
> wrote, if you only read or write a small file you will not see the truth. My
> Pinnacle Studio reported the R/W speed of my SATA drive as 39.6/29.8MB (ok,
> it is an old drive) and the USB drive as 29.5/25MB.
>
> Why not simply copy a folder full of files and compare the result? It is how
> I use my backup drives.

OK. My backup drive arrived. I installed it today. I copied
527,945,113,600 bytes from one Seagate 1.5TB drive in the computer,
attached to the MB STAT header to an empty, identical drive mounted in
the eSATA docking station. Time to copy it all using SyncBack was
1:34:51, = 5691 sec.

That's 92.8MB/sec., in marketing megabytes. However you look at it, it's
LOTS faster than USB 2.0 HSE.

Moose