[OM] The other kind of weather

Subject: [OM] The other kind of weather
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2009 15:46:12 +1100
Temp's 45-47deg (114-117oF), humidity under 10%, wind gusts 50-90kmh
blowing dead leaves.
Reports of 50deg in hot pockets such as on the highway. Wind is like
a furnace blast full of dust.

Typical fire weather - weird grey light with strong sun tho' we don't
get really nervous until it turns orange.
It gets so hot, dry and windy that the forest can seem to explode up
here in the trees.
Public radio has shifted to full time emergency reports - there's a
decision point when people have to decide whether to evacuate or stay
and fight.
There's about 300 fire outbreaks recorded so far today but only 5-6
are big ones and none close to here.
Still, that smell of smoke makes you nervous - there was a small fire
about 2km away but it's out.
Bunkered down and living on fingernails.
Cool change tonight, we hope - if you think 32deg (90oF) is cool.

Now, ain't you glad you've got a snowstorm?  :-)
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx