Re: [OM] E-3 versus E-1 - pictures better with E-1

Subject: Re: [OM] E-3 versus E-1 - pictures better with E-1
From: David Irisarri <div2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2009 12:56:37 +0100
Ian, certainly a very interesting topic.

I do the same as you. I spend hours in front of my Apple Cinema, going
through the images, checking dynamic range, highlights, noise, etc...
I have been working with E-1 since 2003. Color was superb in that time
but I missed too much reversal film color rendition. I also didn´t like
at all Olympus Studio for processing my images and jumping to another
software, Olympus color was lost. CaptureONE with their lovely etcetera
consulting ICC profiles, is a good candidate but their demosaicing
algorithms were very bad. Even with their new 4.0 release, fine details
in images are lost.
I have been reading a lot about E-3 but also have seen hundreds of
images, checking noise, color, detail, etc... and I must say E-3 is
better than E-1 in all fields. I agree with Richard about dynamic range.
E-1 KAF-5101CE CCD was superb. Underexposed images processed under RAW
software, pushing up (1 to 1.5 stops) are rendered with rich detail and
little noise. We cannot say the same about E-3. Have a look to this
Olympus demo image. It´s ISO 100 and have a look into the deep shadows
between her neck and hair. Banding, green cast, etc... It seems this
sensor has banding issues even at lower ISOs but I the overall quality
is fantastic.

http://olympus-imaging.jp/product/dslr/e3/sample/images/index_image02_l.jpg

Something I don´t agree with you is about E-3 color. I think E-3 color
is simply awesome. Muchhhhh better than E-1. Olympus did a great job.
This camera blows away CANON and NIKON in color rendition. Clearly,
color is one of Olympus priorities when creating a camera.

Regards,

Dave