Re: [OM] E-3 versus E-1 - pictures better with E-1

Subject: Re: [OM] E-3 versus E-1 - pictures better with E-1
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2009 07:13:42 -0600
On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 8:10 PM, Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> But there is NOTHING wrong with the E-1, and yet I'm not ready by that
>> fact to declare the E-3 a stinker.  It seems extremely accurate; it's
>> just that accuracy is not always precisely what one is looking for.
>> For now the E-1 has that 'je ne sais quoi" quality -- for me -- and
>> I'm pretty confident that I know almost exactly what I will get with
>> it, whereas I'm not at that level of familiarity yet with the E-3 and
>> get both pleasant surprise as well as disappointments from it.
>>

> I believe that my thoughts regarding the color qualities from the E-1 are
> well documented.  If Olympus had just introduced an upgraded E-1 with more
> resolution and a couple performance enhancements it would have been near
> perfect.  But the E-3 seems to be an entire reinvention of the camera with
> little to know heritage of the E-1.  It's a nice camera, but it ain't no
> E-1.
>
> AG

See, I told ya he was a snob. :)

I managed a few shots late yesterday afternoon with the E-3 using the
VIVID setting.  It's not really vivid as in Velvia vivid, but it
brings one more within range of the CS2 setting on the E-1. The danger
at all times with the E-3 seems to me to be over-saturation of blue.
I like its rendering of blue iniitially, but any further increase in
overall saturation tends to overdo the blue.  Sometimes the remedy is
to saturate generally, and then select blues and desaturate them back
to what they were.

Interestingly, though I was shooting at magic hour, Auto WB put the
color temp at 4900.  If I change it to 5300 (daylight) in LR, it seems
less accurate in a way such that I tend to prefer what I saw with Auto
WB.  This is weird to me and quite different from the E-1.  Overall,
the E-3 seems more accurate than the E-1, which is not to say it is
necessarily more pleasing by that fact.  There is somewhat more to
choose from in settings as well.

I'm interested in what others are using as their standard settings on the E-3.

Joel W.