Re: [OM] MR trip to Antarctica

Subject: Re: [OM] MR trip to Antarctica
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2009 21:03:05 -0600

> I always wonder how the E-1 or E-3 will fare, but I guess lowly Olympus
> owners cannot afford such exotic trips.

I know there are a handful of Olympus owners that could and do. However, we
probably tend to do it either on our own or as part of another "professional
purpose" in the journey.

>From personal experience in putting on a workshop in a remote location, all
participants used E-1 based systems.  Of our particular sampling of four,
there were no failures nor have any of us experienced as much as a hickup
before or after. And to extend this to another level, here on this list we
have far more E-1 and E-3 bodies represented than there were cameras on that
luminous-landscape trip. A friend here in Iowa had one E-3 suffer from a
broken shutter, but otherwise we've had almost a completely clear
reliability record.

One driving force behind my purchasing the E-1 was the extreme reliability
experienced during the first year and a half of general availability.

I frequently subject my E-1 to the same conditions indicated by MR of the
Antartica trip.  I'm completely mystified by the failures his shipmates
experienced.  I know that my E-1 is built a bit better than the average
bear, but maybe I'm a bit naive when it comes to the level of expectation I
should have in how physically capable a $3000 camera should be.

AG