Re: [OM] OT: Steam train arrives in London

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Steam train arrives in London
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 12:18:20 -0600

> Made in China ???????????????????????????????
>
> You must be kidding !

No sir, I'm not kidding. They're actually pretty nice units and I understand
they can be easily converted to bunker oil.

The one thing I noticed different about them is the driven wheels appear to
be smaller diameter than the older, retired American units. Therefore, the
pistons are shuttling faster than I've ever seen before.  I photographed
them passing by at about 60MPH, and those things were just about a blur.  I
suspect that was probably about the top speed for these locomotives.

BTW, they aren't small.  They're the size of a regular diesel-electric.

AG