Re: [OM] E-3 versus E-1 - pictures better with E-1

Subject: Re: [OM] E-3 versus E-1 - pictures better with E-1
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 10:48:41 -0600

> The software looks horrid, Ken.  That's my main gripe.

What do "looks" have to do with it?  If it's fast and functional...  How
about Irvanview?  That's not exactly good looking either, but it sure is
popular.

I did encounter a major flaw with Raw Therapee (RT).  When you crank the
snot out of the highlight/shadow recovery and the Local Contrast Adjustment,
you get really strange banding (comb shape) in the image.  I thought it was
a flaw with the E-3 file I was working with, but using the same type of
extreme adjustments in both C1 and Lightroom we were unable to recreate it.
Then I tried it with an E-1 file and it showed up.

But we're talking about EXTREME adjustment, and backing off to the 90% of
maximum point seemed to take care of it.

What is really sweet about RT is that the raw conversion part is just a
minor thing--just like it is in Lightroom, so you can mangle RAW, JPEG and
TIFF files in one program. I am getting unusual artifacts which look like
hot-pixels in the RT converted files, so there are a few bugs to work out
yet.

Back to workflow with Viewer.  As a general rule, my workflow (this week)
when processing hundreds of images is to find my selects with Viewer and if
I shot RAW, I do a batch process en-mass using in-camera settings.  If I
have to corral a particular picture, I individually reconvert that one
individually.  Then I use other programs, such as RT or Photoshop Elements
to crop, edit, etc.  RT, like Lightroom, let's you crop, adjust
colors/contrast, sharpen, resize, de-destort, free-rotate, etc., and it
dynamically updates the thumbnails as well as allows you to copy/paste/save
processing settings.

For converting my old Minolta A1 files, Raw Shooter Essentials still rules
the day.

A side-note about resizing images in Irfanview for web-display:  DO NOT
resize in one-step, but use three steps instead.  Otherwise, you will end up
with nasty jaggies.

AG