Re: [OM] E-3 ISO samples

Subject: Re: [OM] E-3 ISO samples
From: Richard Lovison <rlovison@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 07:43:05 -0500
Ken Norton wrote:
> That's a nice test, Richard.  Please don't mistake my observations about the
> E-3 to be criticisms.

I don't. I was just motivated to check ISO performance and see for myself.

> Where I see the E-3's NR becoming bothersome is with mid-toned colors,
> specifically at or near red, green or blue. In Richard's examples, these are
> all very lightly colored and each pixel location is getting light in all
> three colored cells. However, if you take a picture of a red barn, you'll
> see far more NR artifacting as the green and blue cells received too little
> light to contribute to a high enough signal level to counteract the NR's
> blobifying.

I did more tests yesterday and noticed the "blobs of color" in mid to
low tones occurring at high ISOs. It started in small amounts at ISO 400
though Noise Ninja set at medium levels helped a great deal. There isn't
any free lunch with noise reduction software. It always seems to be a
compromise between how much detail you want to preserve and how much
noise you want to get rid of.

And may the universe have mercy on you if you crowd the histogram to the
left in your exposures... ISO 3200 gets very ugly.

Richard

--
Richard Lovison Photography
http://www.richardlovison.com