Re: [OM] Lincoln's Bicentennial Anniversary

Subject: Re: [OM] Lincoln's Bicentennial Anniversary
From: Frank van Lindert <Frank@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 15:26:13 +0100
On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 09:27:57 -0400, John Hudson wrote:

>I recall from high school statistics that in a randomly selected group of 25
>to 30 people there is a better than 50% chance that at least two people will
>have the same birthday [day and month].

True, but the chance that at least two would share a fixed date for
their birthday, e.g. 12 Februay, is _much_ smaller! 1/365th of your
50%, I would guess.

With two dice the chance that you throw two threes is much smaller
than the chance that you throw two equal numbers. 1/6th.

>On that basis, there should be several people on this list who are sharing
>birthdays today with Abe Lincoln and Charles Darwin.

Perhaps, but not 'on that basis'. For each of us the chance of having
this birthday is 1/365th....To find two such people you would need
several hundred list members, IMHO.

>We should take a poll .................. don't be shy out there !
>
>jh

Frank van Lindert, to lazy to do the exact arithmetics...

Utrecht NL.