Re: [OM] Subject: Re: Steam train - not so OT?

Subject: Re: [OM] Subject: Re: Steam train - not so OT?
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 09:26:42 -0600

> Interesting.  I never heard of condensing tenders.  Makes perfect sense.

I think they were less common on most rail lines when there was a good
general availability of water.  Many rail systems had an interesting way of
topping off. There was a long trough of water next to the rails at select
locations and when the train passed by a chute dropped down into the water
and directed hundreds of gallons of water up and into a storage tank in the
tender.  This would happen while traveling at full-speed.

Ocean-going steamers had converted over to condensers pretty quickly.
Initially they hauled all their own water for the entire journey or use sea
water.  If they hauled their own water, it drastically shifted the ballast
and they had to back-fill the tanks with sea water to keep the ship from
tipping over.  If they tried to use sea water, the boiling salt water just
destroyed everything in sight.

I believe that the steam locomotives that the Iowa Interstate Railroad owns
are condensing tenders.

AG