[OM] WTB: lenses for an OM nostalgia system

Subject: [OM] WTB: lenses for an OM nostalgia system
From: "William Sommerwerck" <grizzledgeezer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2009 06:27:20 -0800
When I started working for Bendix Field Engineering in 1974, I realized I
couldn't schlep a Nikon on field-engineering trips. So I switched to a
motor-drive Olympus OM-1 and a couple of lenses, gradually expanding the
system. A body, flash, and a half-dozen lenses fit in a tiny case, which I
still have.

I was an OM'er for over 30 years, until defecting to Canon. Almost all the
OM system has been sold, piece by piece, to pay the bills when I was out of
work. *

I'm back to work, at what appears to be a permanent (hah!) job, and am
seriously considering putting together a "nostalgia" OM system. Whether or
not I ever take pictures with the camera is beside the point. I want a
memento of a 30-year marriage.

I'm not going to replace every lens, but the following seem appropriate for
the kinds of pictures I like to take. And they'll all fit in the case, with
the body and flash, with room to spare.

16/3.5 full-frame fisheye
24/2
35/2  **
50/2 or 50/3.5 macro
85/2 or 100/2
200/4 (maybe)

The lenses should have the original front and body caps, and cases.

I've done preliminary searches at Adorama, B&H, and KEH. Not surprisingly,
their OM lenses are generally overpriced. *** ****

The following will sound rude, but... as I don't actually "need" this
equipment, I don't want to spend a lot of money -- and, of course, the
lenses absolutely /have/ to be in near-perfect condition. <wry grin> On the
other hand, I could probably pay a seller more than what Adorama, B&H, or
KEH would, so we would likely both benefit.

I expect to be ready to go in two or three months. (There's a chance I might
change my mind and spend the money on my car loan, but... who knows?) If
anyone has one of these lenses they'd like to sell, please contact me
directly.

Thank you.

* A champagne OM-4T body remains, plus the FP-synch flash. And I still have
all my other Olympus cameras, plus an E-500 I bought, not anticipating the
huge rebates Canon offered at the end of 2006. Other than the fact that the
Canon isn't as elegantly compact as the Olympus, I have no regrets.

** If you're wondering "Why no 45/2 pancake lens?", it's because I owned one
and was disappointed. Not only is it expensive, but it doesn't serve what
seems (to me) to be its obvious purpose -- an OM body with this lens should
slip into the inner pocket of a suit jacket. It doesn't, oddly because the
body itself won't fit.

*** About a year ago I contacted "We buy cameras" (or whatever it's called).
When I asked for a quote on my OM focusing screens (most of which were
unused), I was offered 25 cents per screen! How much ruder can you get? They
could have said "There isn't much demand for these, so we can't offer what
you would consider a fair price", which would have been reasonable and
respectful. You can bet I won't be /buying/ anything from these people. (The
woman I exchanged e-mails with seemed to have the attitude that I was a jerk
for not doing business with them.)

**** One wonders what the owners of lenses that won't work on digital
cameras are doing with their lenses (other than continuing to take pictures
with film-based cameras, of course). The decline of interest in film-based
photography ought to bring older lenses onto the market, while driving down
their prices. But once the price falls to the point where a dealer offers
less than the seller is willing to take, the seller isn't likely to give up
the lens, and it's not available to anyone. (The pitch that "20 cents on the
dollar is better than 0 cents on the dollar" is just an excuse for gouging
the seller.)