Re: [OM] IMG: a walk around Brussels

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: a walk around Brussels
From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 19:08:05 +0100
Thanks for looking, Chris.

The street with the restaurants is a classic tourist trap, so I am now
surprised that you found it expensive. Few locals would ever eat in
those restaurants. One of the standard tricks they use is a classic
bait-and-switch method: on the menu board outside there is a great-
sounding special menu at a reasonable price, so you go in, sit down,
get your drinks, but when it is time to order the food, it invariably
turns out that the dish on special is no longer available because they
ran out of some critical ingredient. But of course you can simply
order a la carte ;-)

On the Grand' Place itself there is a good restaurant, ´t Kelderke,
which servers all the traditional Belgian dishes like stoemp,
waterzooi etc., along with a great beer selection.

Of course, with the pound only worth about € 1.10 now, travelling to
the Continent has become more expensive for UK folk--the same
phenomenon that has made it a lot cheaper for me to support my son at
university in England and that also has made it possible for me to buy
my M8 in Scotland at a saving of at least € 1000 compared to buying it
here.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman