Re: [OM] IMG: Painting Question

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Painting Question
From: "Jim Nichols" <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 11:30:05 -0600
Bill,

A little on-line detective work led me to the idenity of the artist, Grace
Kirby Wiley, b. 1877, d. 1952.  She grew up and began art education in a
small town in Kentucky, then attended Cincinnati School of Art.

Her work on display at the the Kentucky Museum in Bowling Green is described
as "Oil on board".

The work that I have is painted on traditional canvas, but the canvas,
rather than being stretched on a frame, is wrapped around and glued to what
appears to be a sheet of window glass.  I discovered this a number of years
ago when I disassembled the painting to repair the frame.  I found that the
glass had at some time been broken, so I taped the glass backing back in
place and reassembled the whole thing once the frame was restored.  Since
that was several years ago, I can't recall precisely how the canvas was
fastened, but it appeared to be glued where it overlapped the back of the
glass.

My guess is that, given the times in which she did her work, she worked with
the materials that she found readily and cheaply available.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA