Re: [OM] Risking the wrath of SWMBO

Subject: Re: [OM] Risking the wrath of SWMBO
From: Chris Crawford <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 15:13:57 -0500
I've always preferred medium format over 4x5. 4x5 does product sharper, more
detailed images with smoother tonality. However, 4x5's advantages in that
regard are not great in small prints (up to 11x14, which is as big as I go
most times). 4x5 cameras are very large and heavy, hard for me to carry long
distances because I have problems with my ankles. 4x5 is also not usable in
wind, as any wind will blow the bellows about like a sail, shaking the
camera and ruining sharpness. I actually have a 4x5 that I never use
anymore, and that is a major reason, as wind blows almost constantly in
Indiana.

Sheet film is expensive and a pain to load and a bigger pain to process, but
I'd be willing to go to the trouble if the camera itself was suitable for my
work. In the end I think I get better quality with my Mamyia 645 and my
Hasselblad than  ever got with 4x5, because these SLRs can take some pretty
heavy wind gusts without vibrating, and I can carry the whole kit in a
fairly small bag that I can actually lift and carry over a long walk.

--
Chris Crawford
Fine Art Photography