Re: [OM] Risking the wrath of SWMBO

Subject: Re: [OM] Risking the wrath of SWMBO
From: ws <omls@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 21:28:01 -0500
I wish I had time to ponder possible photographic pinhole productions.
However, perusing Chucks Red Barn flea market makes me wonder,
the itch to scratch for me is getting out and shooting some stuff. Too often
I find myself wondering what would be a great photo, when in fact,
the problem is not going out to take that great photo, but to take photos
of life period and then edit them down.

There was a recent NPR article on Robert Frank.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=100673221
83 photos edited down from ten's of thousands.

So, I love cameras and the technology of photography, and I'm the first
one to consider what would be interesting to pursue. But really my main
problem is simply not putting myself in the situations of life that can
bring interesting stuff. Chuck's Red Barn flea market shots brings
that home to me.

However, the pursuit of possible ways to create interesting photos is another
aspect of the art that is more along the lines of a painter and the tools
used to create something unique. This is a problem of expressing the
vision inside the photographer. So there is this dichotomy (struggle)
between the art, the vision, and the style of one's photography.

But I will repeat something again, once told to me. "The art of photography
is editing ones work. Only from that is the vision and path forward made
more clear." Whenever I start thinking about cameras and what technology to
pursue, I'm no longer in touch with what to pursue. But if I find from editing
my photos, that the technology needs to change to follow a path, then that
is what I should consider.

Never let an inner inspiration get cut off by the SWMBO or inner critic
or anyone's opinion. If you are drawn to something, then pursue it. Don't
hem and haw, because life is too short. I know from personal experience
that one can spend their life pursuing what is expected of them, only
to have that life cut short, and never allowing themselves to have or
pursue what they really wanted. Creativity is a struggle, but it
is what brings us life. Let me know if you need any wax paper
to go with the oatmeal container.

Wayne