Re: [OM] E-30

Subject: Re: [OM] E-30
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 08:06:54 +1100
The 'fire climax' ecosystems are remarkable - some of the seeds can't
regenerate unless they are singed and then fall on ash (it's a soil
steriliser and conditioner). The trees throw epicormic shootsthrough
the bark and are soon covered in green 'fur' - they don't last but it
keeps the tree going until the crown regenerates. Tree ferns throw
fresh fronds in as little as a week - the core is insulated.
There were a couple of cases of firefighters losing their families -
that's the hardest story I think.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx