[OM] Photoshop work-alikes [was: Re: E-30]

Subject: [OM] Photoshop work-alikes [was: Re: E-30]
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 21:10:02 -0800
> From: Ken Norton <xra@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>> Irfanview.
>
> Oh, sorry.  You don't use a real computer.

Yea, but can YOU erase YOUR screen by turning it upside-down and
shaking it? :-)

There are tons of Mac alternatives to Photoshop for resizing photos,
including (as of Leopard, at least) the Preview that comes for free
with every Mac. Use "Tools --> Adjust Size..." where you can pick a
number of pre-set sizes from a menu, or use the familiar "Width/Height/
Resolution" fill-ins in various units.

Another favourite is Graphic Converter, 85% of Photoshop for 15% of
the price. And if you're into archiving, sorting, and keywording,
Aperture does re-sizing as well. Then there's always Gimp, which is
110% of Photoshop for free, albeit with a clunky X11 GUI, but there's
the freeware Gimpshop, that reportedly makes it behave more like
Photoshop.

Adobe: Just Say No. I've worked with photos every day for three weeks,
turning out three newsletters and one magazine article, and never
opened Photoshop once. I still use it if I need flaming text. ;-O

:::: Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys typing
on a million typewriters, and the Internet is NOTHING like
Shakespeare. ::::
:::: Jan Steinman <http://www.Bytesmiths.com> ::::