Re: [OM] New Canyon tilt/shift lenses 17/4 & 24/3.5

Subject: Re: [OM] New Canyon tilt/shift lenses 17/4 & 24/3.5
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 16:38:46 -0500
I'm not sure my math is up to the task but, by my calculations, if the
lens was focused on infinity, swinging the image plane through 6.5
degrees on the 36mm side would bring one end of the image forward by
approx. 2mm and the other end backward by 2mm.  After refocusing to
bring the backward end forward to infinity the other end would be 22mm
from the image plane instead of 17.  The equates to a focusing distance
of 90mm.  So, without even considering depth of field it looks to me
like you'd have from 90mm to infinity in focus.  It looks like 6.5
degrees is certainly sufficient for a 17mm lens on a 35mm size frame.

If any one would like to dispute this with an explanation why my rusty
math is wrong here I'm all ears.

Chuck Norcutt