Re: [OM] Upsampling/Sharpening technology [was E system metering was Dpr

Subject: Re: [OM] Upsampling/Sharpening technology [was E system metering was Dpr
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 17:39:51 -0800
Wow, I'd already forgotten this thread. Mike is perhaps overenthusiastic
in his praise ...

I think what he is referring to here is the use of different NR and/or
sharpening for different parts of an image. As was mentioned in a recent
thread, noise in dark, relatively undifferentiated areas, particularly
with digital, but also with scanned film, can bet quite pronounced and,
in digital, end up with blobs of color.

Lighter, more detailed areas will show far less noise. So NR that is
good for the dark areas simply smears out all the detail in the light
areas and what works for the light areas does pretty much nothing for
the dark ones. The same sort of thing can apply to sharpening.

So I sometimes do two (or more) separate applications of NI to the basic
image, on separate layers and use masks to apply different types and
amounts of these tools to different parts of an image.

NI is a nice tool using the defaults, but far more than that once one
gets into the adjustment details available. I assume this is true of
other NR tools, but have only delved into detail with this one. Because
it includes a resharpening facility that works on Luminance with some
adjustments that tune it to the NR that has been done, it is often
possible to both reduce moderate noise AND increase detail at once. Very
different NR settings, with resharpening turned off can usually work
wonders on noise in low detail, dark areas.

Here's an example.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Seattle/SoulSong&image=DSCF1514-15CRII.jpg>

The F30 is a remarkable camera, but used here at -2/3 EV and ISO 1600,
the equivalent of about ISO 2500, the noise in the dark portions is
quite bad. Bad enough to really detract from the image. The expanse of
piano in the foreground is very noisy. The amount of NR I used there
would render Julia as mush. I wouldn't be surprised if I used three
different applications for different parts of this and some other shots
in this gallery.

Moose