Re: [OM] Delta Junction 2008 (Mark Jennings)

Subject: Re: [OM] Delta Junction 2008 (Mark Jennings)
From: Mark_Jennings@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 10:07:23 -0500

> Johan,
>
> Great pictures.  I used to travel out that way quite a bit on my way
> to and
> from Slana, photographing along the Nebesna Road and the northern
> entrance
> to Wrangell-St. Elias National Park.  I've eaten many meals at the
> historic
> roadhouse in Gakona and had more than a few beers at Duffy's
> Tavern.  Thats
> beautiful country up that way, and not visited by many people.
> Summer is
> the best time to be out there - plenty of good fishing.  Gets a little
> brisk out there in winter!
>
> Mark Jennings

Thanks for your story Mark. I have only seen Alska between Faribanks
and Delta Junction but it still amaze me. It's kind of the northen
parts of Sweden, but different...

I would love to go back and having more time, I really would like to
go to the Denali area for instance.

Thanks!
/ Johan

Johan,

The Denali area is beautiful.  Each July, the National Park Service holds a
Road Lottery which allows the permit winner to drive his/her own car into
Denali Park on one of four days during the second or third week of
September.  The Denali Park website tells you how to enter and its open to
anyone. Those are the final four days that the Park Road is open each year.
Snow closes the road shortly thereafter and the NPS does not keep it open
beyond milepost 12 or 13 after that.   With a Road Lottery permit, you can
drive your personal vehicle (and as many friends as you can cram into it)
the length of the park road and back out again.  It is an amazing road and
the September scenery (fall foliage peak) and abundance of wildlife are
spectacular.  Since there is no gas available in the park, you have to top
off your tank the night before in Healy.  The road is approximately 84
miles one way to Wonder Lake, or about 88 or 90 miles if you choose to
continue to crawl all the way to Kantishna.  Outhouses are available for
use at points along the road, and there is a single visitor accommodation
at the Eilsen Center (if its open now) around milepost 55 or so, but thats
it.  Its you and the animals and the mountain.  If its not obscured by
clouds, the view of Mount McKinley from Wonder Lake provides the greatest
vertical relief of any vantage point in the world.  The mountain rises from
a plateau approximately 2,000 feet in elevation and rises to just over
20,000 feet, and you can see the entire 18,000-foot north face of Mount
McKinley.

Another fantastic drive, and this one requires no permit, is to drive the
Denali Highway (not to be confused with the Park Road).  The Denali Highway
is located just south of Denali National Park and runs east-west
approximately 135 miles from Paxson (east end) to Cantwell (west end).  One
of the most spectacular drives in North America.  This rutted dirt road
follows the south side of the Alaska Range and winds through some stunning
country crossing numerous glacial rivers and valleys.  Caribou migrate
through the area and bears, moose and all varieties of northern birds and
geese are frequently seen.  Sparsely populated, it makes for a great day
drive or spend several days camping along the road (BLM land) hiking, berry
picking and fishing the countless lakes and streams.  The Gracious House
located near the midpoint of the road provides overnight accommodations,
guiding and some minor car repairs (tires).  Again, you need a full tank of
gas and at least one good spare tire.  The road is open usually from May
until late September.  Snow closes it the rest of the year.

Email me if you want more information about that area.  I used to live and
work there and I go back frequently to visit family.  I can recommend some
places to stay.

Mark Jennings

 This e-mail and any attachments are confidential. If you receive this
 message in error or are not the intended recipient, you should not retain,
 distribute, disclose or use any of this information and you should destroy
 the e-mail and any attachments or copies.