Re: [OM] More on monitors and printing

Subject: Re: [OM] More on monitors and printing
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 10:35:47 -0500
The rationale for using Adobe RGB is as an editing space and not as an
output space.  That's what it was designed for.  It's analagous to using
16 bits for editing but 8 bits for output.  You use 16 bits during
color/brightness editing to minimize round-off errors of integer
division.  While you're doing editing the colors can go out of gamut for
sRGB but have a better chance of being preserved if using Adobe RGB.
Some monitors may be able to display outside the sRGB space but I don't
think any printing technology can display outside the sRGB space.

In PhotoShop, if you shoot raw, you can choose to edit in any space
including Adobe RGB or (probably better) ProPhoto RGB.  ProPhoto RGB is
also an editing space.  But when it comes to final output I choose only
sRGB.  Most of my prints are done in a lab which (like most) only prints
from sRGB.  If you don't convert it yourself they'll do it for you.  I'd
like to see it in converted form before I send it.

Chuck Norcutt