Re: [OM] pizza, was New Bessa Pics

Subject: Re: [OM] pizza, was New Bessa Pics
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 16:57:31 -0800
For my current favorite thin crust pizza, see my TOPE entry when Olafo
gets it up.

Nicoletta Da Ros wrote:
> i'm intrigued by how relative the idea of "good pizza" is...

I've known people from the US Midwest who don't like even frozen peas,
let alone fresh ones. They grew up with muchy, off flavor canned peas,
and that's what they like.

> a good pizza for me in italy is something else compared to what i would call
> a good pizza here in the US. in italy, the pizza has to be very thin, full of
> toppings, soft in the center and with a not-too-soft crust, so that you can
> slice it and pick up the slice with your hands (yes, food tastes better when
> eaten with one's hands!). it is made at the moment,

That sounds a lot like a good NY slice, although the toppings aren't
heaped on, ust enough to balance with the other parts and I've heard
most Italian makers use less cheese. Some very good, and rather
expensive, hand made, pizzas I've had were fairly light on cheese and
toppings, relying on quality, rather than quantity.

> cooked in the brick oven with real fire and it does retain the taste of
> carbon and burnt flour, but not too much as to alter the flavors of the
> toppings and the dough.

Wood fired can be great, but tends to be much pricier around here than a
good, standard pizza oven pizza.. We were wowed by the pizza in my TOPE,
but it's too far away for frequent visits. /Gioia/ Pizzeria - "The Best
/Pizza/ West of the Jersey Turnpike", is very good and much more
accessible. For thick crust, "stuffed", Zachery's in Berkeley & Oakland
is terrific. But Carol doesn't like that style and I want to retain some
shape other than round ... :-)

> a good pizza here in the US is something that is less than an inch thick,
> does not drip oil and has something more than cheese and pepperoni (sorry,
> i'm partial to anchovies, and pineapple and fries on a pizza are
> sacrilege...). the best pizza i had so far on this side of the pond was in
> port hueneme, ventura county - 2 hours by car from riverside, but worth every
> mile (yes, i did the trip more than once JUST for that pizza!)

Wow, it's only 40 minutes to the place in SF, if you avoid commute time.
I've got  nothing against odd things on pizza, if it keeps the people
eating it happy and a good pizza place afloat - as long as I don't have
to eat it. Then again, you might think tomato sauce, pesto chicken,
spinach & pesto is a weird pizza. I loved it for 1.5 slices. A bit
intense for a whole pie, though. The owners are Brazilian, so what do
they know? ;-)

Moose