Re: [OM] Ritz going under

Subject: Re: [OM] Ritz going under
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 17:23:10 -0800
Ken Norton wrote:
>> Ritz files for Bankruptcy. Sign of the times again.
>
> Couldn't happen to a better company...

I'm not so sure. The local, two store 'real' camera shop just
consolidated all processing into the other, far away, branch. I only
found out when I walked up to the counter and started dropping film off.
Only adds a day or so, unless you come in on Friday afternoon, which
means Monday pick-up.

So I walked up a block to one of the many 1-hours shops operating under
a Ritz name, in this case, Presto Prints. In spite of careful
instructions, they cut the negs into strips of four. Still they gave
them to me free, which doesn't quite make up for the hassle of scanning
short strips.

Oh yeah, I got a good deal on a CF tripod from a Ritz auction, too.

No Wal Marts near here, fortunately, and the Costco is far enough to be
fine for a stocking up trip, but inconvenient for casual film drop-off.
I'll bet they can't cut to strips of six, either.  :-)   I wonder about
uncut.

I just hope somebody maintains a developing place nearby ... We have a
serious photo store largely supported by the Cal crowd. There are always
new students who get interested in B&W photography. They even have
rental darkroom space, but they send developing out.

> ...Except, maybe, "Abe's of Maine".

Did you know that's an actual store? I was surprised too, when I drove
past it - in Brooklyn. It was night time, so I couldn't check it out.

Moose