Re: [OM] 90/2.0 vs 135/3.5 for distant landscape

Subject: Re: [OM] 90/2.0 vs 135/3.5 for distant landscape
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 00:46:52 -0800
Dawid Loubser wrote:
> Thank you gentlemen, I am surprised at the statement that the 90/2.0 is even
> better than the famed 100/2.0 for distant subjects also, but very pleased if
> this
> is true - then there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to want a 100/2.0 if
> one
> has a 90/2.0 :-) The 90 is by far and away my favourite lens.

I have heard here the opposite opinion from others who have had both
lenses. Gary's tests @ 1:40 suggest that the lenses are quite
comparable. Remember what he says:

"*Subjective quality factor style grades are relative, with A+ = best,
then B, C, D, and F (worst); differences are significant across full
letter grades only (unless a paired comparison was made - as noted).
Corner grades are measured at 66% out from center and are less rigorous
than center grades. An A+ grade for centers and corners is set to the
performance of a 50mm f/2.0 Zuiko Macro at f/8.*"

> What I find interesting (especially in light of my own experience of this
> lens) is
> the less than world-dominating figures the lens scores in Gary Reese's lens
> test
> (kindly reproduced by Ken in his link in the previous e-mail). Why do you
> think
> that is? Not a single "A"+ rating anywhere, though I would certainly rate
> even my
> hand-held macro images with this lens as such...

Read the above again ... Gary is clear that his ratings are subjective,
not absolute and that comparisons at the 1/3 grade, i.e., A vs. A+ are
meaningless except in paired comparisons, which this is not. I know you
love your 90/2, but I don't believe anyone who has tried them would rate
it as quite as good as the 50/2 macro, which set the standard for A+.

> Perpendicular beach macro shots at ~50cm render every last grain of beach
> sand with complete and uniform clarity, right to the frame edge.

That is not really macro photography. If the distance from front of lens
to subject is 50cm, repro ratio is about 1:4.6. If it is 50cm from
subject to film plane, about 1:3.4. My personal experience was that my
90/2 was excellent from about 1:4 out to infinity.

No matter what Oly said "The exclusive Olympus focus aberration
correction mechanism guarantees first class picture sharpness all the
way from minimum focus to infinity.", I found that it fell behind other
macro lenses of comparable focal length from 1:4 to 1:2.

Even Oly says not to go beyond that point without expecting poorer
performance. "Combined with an Auto Extension Tube or Auto Bellows, this
lens permits magnifications higher than 1/2 x [1:2]. For best results,
however, it is recommended to use other macro lenses designed for
specific magnifications."

I bought this legendary lens for exactly what it promised, the ability
to deliver top notch performance from 1:2 to infinity. It didn't deliver
on that promise below 1:4 or so, other lenses I had did, so I sold it.

> Hence my original question about the "further distance" performance...
> But thank you for the posted images, C.H. - they do show the infinity
> performance well. Your images (on a half-frame camera) show me that one can
> expect wonders at f/8 at infinity on slow monochrome film...

Indeed. There are many Zuikos of which that is true.

Moose