Re: [OM] Ball head lubricant

Subject: Re: [OM] Ball head lubricant
From: Jim Couch <zuikoholic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 11:28:07 -0800
Although it is indeed Markins official recommendation, I cringe every
time I read/hear that. WD 40 WAS NOT DEVELOPED AS A LUBRICANT and in
fact makes a very poor one. WD stands for Water Displacement 40th try,
(from the inventor's lab book) it is designed to displace water and
serve as a corrosion prevention. It does not lubricate well, and it
tends to attract dirt. It is also unkind to some plastics (polystyrene
as I recall.) It really is closer to a solvent that a lubricant and will
remove pretty much any lubricant that is already in the head.

Most problems can be solved by cleaning as opposed to lubrication,
provided you can get access. As a lube graphite works very well, but as
some have noted can be very messy. Silicon is probably a better choice
as it is cleaner and less likely to stain anything. All in all, in spite
of my reservations, it is probably best to go with the manufactures
recommendations. I would certainly check with the manufacturer before
using any lube.

Jim Couch