Re: [OM] Ritz going under

Subject: Re: [OM] Ritz going under
From: Chris Crawford <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 17:00:18 -0500
Bill,

Highly intelligent people simply will not take low-wage employment except
when they're in school. That is the connection between intelligence and pay.
I worked shit jobs like that as a college student, and like many students
who work retail, I discovered that the harder you work the more the managers
of those stores spit on you. Employers that pay low wages don't simply pay
low wages, they cultivate a management culture of disrespect for the
humanity of the employees. The employees are, after all, just trash. If they
were better they wouldn't make $7 an hour. That belief pervades the culture
of the retail industry. I suspect that you have either never worked such a
job, or that you did so many decades ago as a student and have forgotten the
experience. Note also, that older people I met in retail who had worked in
that industry for decades tell me that retail clerks were once paid a lot
better and treated as valued team members rather than slaves. This is 30-40
yrs ag0. When I was an assistant manager of a Walgreens drug store, there
were a couple of old women who had each worked for the company more than 45
years! They were disgusted by the way the younger employees were treated and
they told me in no uncertain terms that it wasn't like that in their earlier
days at Walgreens. These women only made $8 an hour after 45 years.

--
Chris Crawford
Fine Art Photography