Re: [OM] 90/2.0 vs 135/3.5 for distant landscape

Subject: Re: [OM] 90/2.0 vs 135/3.5 for distant landscape
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 03:39:09 -0800
usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Just to fill in a few other options in the 90 range beside the very nice but
> very expensive Zuiko and the already mentioned Tamron 90 2.8 (or 2.5 for that
> matter) is the 90mm viv S1 with the optically matched TC to go 1:1.? Detailed
> analysis of it on Pnet a few years ago showed it was about the same as the
> Kiron that Moose has but slightly more contrast where the Kiron had a touch
> more res at 1:1.
> The ability to go 1:1 w/o Tc is a plus for the Kiron.

I have always assumed that the Vivitar is a close relation of the Tamron
90/2.5. It also works well with the Tamron 01F 2x converter. Slthough
htat converter was sold for use with many SP Adaptall2 lenses, it
appears to have been matched to the 90/2.5. The combination makes quite
an excellent 190/5 macro lens that focuses directly from infinity to 1:1.

I know I've posted this before, but I think before Dawid and a few
others joined us. te long focal length gives nice stand-off working
distance. This was back when I had a 2700dpi scanner. Someday, I may
rescan @ 4000dpi.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Lenses/Tam902.5/>

The Tamron 90/2.5 also has a matched extension tube to allow a 1:2=>1:1
focal range. I used it when comparing it to the 50/3.5, Kiron 105/2.8
and Tamron AF 90/2.8 Di

> ? Have used the 90mm Viv1 on occasion at near infinity and it works well as
> expected of such as highly corrected lens, but is very subject to loss of
> contrast.? Paul had mentioned this and the Hama hood knock off is a superb
> help.??

The Kiron has a built-in, pull-out hood. I've used it as my only lens
for a roll of film* at a botanic garden and was happy with mid and
longer distance performance as well as close-up. It was a sunny day and
I don't recall any flare/contrast issues at all.

> Suspect Moose doesn't exercise the Kiron too much but uses his nice Tam with
> auto aperture on the 5D.

Yup. I went so far as to do careful copy stand mounted comparisons of
the four macro lenses at 1:2 & 1:1. Once convinced that the newer design
Tammy was as good or better than the others at those magnifications,
I've probably not used any MF macro but the later acquired 80/4 Auto and
maybe the 50/3.5.

> Have only used the Z 135 F4 macro on the autotube a few times at infinity,
> and seemed very nice, if a bit slow and large for the purpose.

You think that's awkward, you should have seen me wandering about the
garden with it hand held mounted on an Auto Bellows. :-)

> The CV 125 f2.5 macro in OM mount (Big Foot) is nice at infinity but has a
> trace of CA at 1:1 which really hasn't been a problem.
> The bokeh is just stellar.? It is now getting very hard to get and have seen
> "fool and his money" prices for one in Nik mount on yabe---2K for one a
> couple wks ago.

Wow, that's a lot. I mean it's an interesting and useful lens, but not
THAT interesting.

> One oddball I had forgotten about? is the? Viv S1 macro 90-180mm.? I recall
> it took Jeff a year or so to find one in OM mount. It is nice that he max mag
> (IIRC) is at the long end.? I don't remember seeing any posted images on the
> list, but someone must have one.
> It must be a bit of a behemoth but quite unusual.? I ran into the below
> images on FM which piqued my interest.
>
> http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/736992

Can't really tell anything about resolution from such reduced size
images. Easy enough to make any in focus shot with a half decent lens
look tack sharp at that size - especially using only the central portion
of the lens on subjects with no detail near the edges.. The Bokeh is
certainly nice in those shots. I wonder how much bigger and heavier, not
to mention more expensive, it is than a Tammy 90/2.5 with matching 2x TC?

Let's see, 38 oz, with a 72mm filter size; constant aperture of f4.5.
VS. 14.8 oz. & f2.5 @ 90mm; 23.6 oz. & f5 @ 180mm. 49 mm filter either
way on my model. I love zooms, but I'm not so sure about that one. For
most subjects I might be using it on, moving forward and back should
handle the intermediate focal range.

Moose

* Yeah, AG, you aren't the only one. :-)